Jodi's Running Blog

Gotta keep going…

Pubic ramus stress fracture update – nearly two years later191

Posted by jodi in Injuries (Wednesday February 27, 2008 at 11:17 pm)

In the late spring of 2006, I posted this entry to my blog after sustaining a stress fracture of my left pubic ramus in the process of marathon training. I am posting a follow-up entry now because I have been amazed at the number of emails I have received from some of you out there about this topic. I don’t mean I’ve gotten hundreds or anything, but probably about a dozen or so since I wrote about my own experience.

As you may have read in subsequent posts, I had a baby in July 2007, a little over one year after the fracture. I became pregnant about five months after the injury, and about one month after feeling that it had recovered. I had initially wondered if the pain from the fracture would return as the pregnancy progressed, but it never did. Even at the end of the third trimester, I never would have known the fracture existed – it was a non-issue.

Another question I receive with some frequency is what I did to get better. The answer: I removed myself from all exercise for three months. It was irritating, because at the time I was quite fit from training, but every time I would attempt to do anything even as low impact as using the Elliptical trainer, the pain was back within minutes. Riding a stationary bicycle doesn’t help, because it requires sitting on the affected area. I finally had to use crutches for several weeks to keep weight off of the left side because it just was not healing.

This does not seem to be as uncommon of an injury as I initially thought – now that I’m aware of it, I have met many people who have friends or acquaintances who have had the same injury. I have not yet met a man with the injury – it really seems to hit women.

I have not run a marathon since the injury, but this is more for reasons of time and motivation than anything. I think I will wait until after I am finished having children and they are all done breastfeeding before attempting another one. 🙂

I think that’s all I have to write for now about this. Please feel free to email me if you have further questions.

191 comments for Pubic ramus stress fracture update – nearly two years later »

1. Gosh you runners must really punish yourselves, I heard that bones take the hit, break/fracture to protect the tendons and muscles so I was told. I fractured my superior and inferior pubic rami 9months ago after being thrown from a bolting horse + 2 humerus breaks and ulna and…..well I only pat horses now, Mine wasn’t diagnosed till 3months so much pain!!!!! Once the radiologist found it by blowing up the hip x-ray my doctor/surgeon says ” oh that’s what old people usually do from falls” what’s that mean? All I know is yes the pain moves around and yes I’m now fat and unfit am walking most days 4klms morn and night do worry about falling over as my leg and foot seem to swing out and around as I walk should be doing deep water exercise will get there. I hurt still now, mostly when sitting. Thankyou to everyone your info has helped me understand my injury better

Comment by Fedup — November 17, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

2. I was diagnosed with a left pubic non-displaced stress fracture on 11/05/10 after MRI results came back. I am a 37 year old male and I believe I got this injury while playing ice hockey back in July. Not from a collision or fall, but from the motion of skating aggresively. It was originally diagnosed as a bad groin pull. PT made the situation worse. Ortho Doc says to lay off any form of exercise for at least 8 weeks. I have a followup XRAY on 12/29/10. I know this sounds weird, but it feels worse in the morning after sleep because I think that the sheets and blankets cause sort of resistance training when I toss and turn at night.

Comment by Mike — November 29, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

3. I was training for a marathon (not my first) over Memorial Day weekend, and two days before the marathon I was out for an easy five miler when I felt excruciating pain. I felt it pretty immediately when I set out, but continued to run anyway. It felt better after the first mile, but miles four and five were horrendous. I figured it was a groin pull and rested all weekend, alternating ice and heat. The morning of the marathon I was still in pain, but of course attempted it anyway. After 10 miles I not only couldn’t run, but I couldn’t walk. I rested for about a month, but it wasn’t getting any better, so I went to see my PT. He also thought groin pull, and it sure helped when he worked my hamstrings, but it would feel better for a few hours and then the pain would come back. My most telling sign was being unable to stand on my right leg when I was getting dressed. Finally, after six weeks of PT, I went to see my orthopaedist, who didn’t even need an MRI to tell me — the plain old x-ray showed a big long stress fracture in my pubic ramus. She told me at that point that I could begin running if I wanted, but that if it began to hurt, I had to stop immediately. I started up again and didn’t feel much pain (although sometimes I feel like there’s ghost pain), and I’ve worked my way to about 42 miles a week since mid-August. However, it’s starting to hurt again, and on my 7 mile run this morning I really felt it. Does anyone know if it’s common to reinjure in this area?

Comment by Leigh — November 30, 2010 @ 10:15 am

4. I’m #152. It’s been 7 weeks since my MRI which showed a stress fracture of the left pubic ramus. XRAY today showed that it is healing up. Doc says that he doesn’t see anything that really concerns him. Seven weeks ago, he told me to just completely rest it. No running, jumping, swimming, biking or even stretching. It now feels better, but it still has not gone away. It still feels like I sort of have a pulled groin muscle. I’m going to very slowly get back into some form of cardio (probably eliptical or excercise bike).

Comment by Mike — December 30, 2010 @ 9:54 pm

5. OK. I am 59 years old, have an inferior pubis ramus fracture and a superior pubis ramus fracture. It has been five weeks and I am still in agony. I try to rest, but I am a medical assistant and HAVE to work. Have been to an orthopod and he had nothing to offer. Am trying acupuncture, massage and chiropractic. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comment by mariellen — January 2, 2011 @ 10:47 am

6. I’m 150* Finally back to work four months after falling off a camel and fracturing left superior pubic ramus! Still have limited movement so been advised not to return to my yoga class as yet. Using excercise bike to strengthen my leg muscles.

Comment by Helen — January 8, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

7. hi
    have been dealing w/it for a yr

Comment by rich — January 10, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

8. I am #83 and 90. I injured myself running almost 2 years ago. After a few months on crutches I got back to things too quickly and swam in the ocean and pushed a full shopping cart. Reinjured myself. After then taking 8 months off I finally returned to exercise–gradual–aquajogging, then swimming and biking then walking without crutches and eventually running. It was a slow 1 year process but it hasn’t returned. Now I only contend with shin splints! Light at the end of the tunnel but take it slow and do nothing until the pain is gone.

Comment by Bobbi Lou — January 14, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

9. Hi, loved all the comments. I am 56, have sarcoidosis, was 130lbs and size 6 before illness. Now have a stress reaction versus earl stress fracture of the proximal right inferior pubic ramus according to MRI. Told rest and use walker. Has gone on for 4 weeks,not much change. Have gotten crutches, but have not mastered them as yet. I was active before I became ill (bowflex). Mine was due to steriods. Now have osteoporosis.

Comment by Candy Dykes — January 14, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

10. all, i am so grateful to have found this blog, and potentially, some answers and hope! i am a 45-year-old new runner (since september) — fell in love with it immediately and started training for an upcoming half after several 5k races.

a couple of weeks ago during a six-miler, i had some hip pain in the last half-mile or so, then some pain deep in the groin — by the time i got home i could barely walk. (it was a big training week — for me — personal best on a 5k, quarter-mile cutdowns, two longest runs) after being prescribed anti-inflammatories, i tried to run an eight-miler the following week and got about 1.25 into it before i had to turn around and walk back to my car (bawling like a 2-year-old, i might add). off to the after-hour clinic and the ortho i went.

got my mri results on monday, and i have stress fractures of the left superior and inferior pubic rami (and bursitis in the left hip). the ortho says 6-12 weeks to completely heal, with no exercise until i can walk without pain. he said then i can try the elliptical. i can’t ride the stationary bike, because the seat presses on the injury and is quite painful. i’m hoping to get into a pool to try some running or maybe using the kickboard very soon. i’m a very active person, and quickly learning that the hardest part of a sports injury is not the injury …

i’m now taking calcium religiously, and have a dexa scan scheduled (have already been diagnosed with osteopenia). i can’t imagine my life without running and am glad to hear so many success stories — best of luck to everyone!

Comment by grmrgrl — January 19, 2011 @ 8:55 am

11. 8 months and I am still recovering from pelvis fractures . Got crushed between my van and a car that was backing up. Both left superior and inferior ramus broke. Superior looks fine now both the inferior is still healing after 8 months. 2 months after, Car insurance provided me with kinesio who worked with me in the pool 3 times a week and then moved to gym + physio . As soon as I started gym exercices, pain started to kick in again. Got CT scan results and inferior pubic ramus has been stressed again by muscles working too hard. I also have pain in the lower sacrum, groin,and quads.Back to 6 weeks rest and I am not feeling better. Walking irritates a nerve. Working on building up deep core muscles to relieve back pain. Entering and coming out of car is challenging. Have a special cushion to sit on at all times. Use to run 3-4 times a week, played soccer and coached many sports. Any idea how to rebuild strength without injuring myself again?

Comment by nathalie — January 24, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

12. Thanks to all for your posts. I am new to the running world at age 48 and was diagnosed today with a fracture of the interior pubic ramus. Without this I would have never gone for an X-ray. At least the mystery is solved! I am looking forward to walking normal again, and definitely putting running on hold. I would love advice from any lifters out there about leg curls and extensions. Lunges are out but are squats safe?

Comment by Beth — February 1, 2011 @ 8:45 am

13. I have read this blog many times over the past 2 years, and have found the comments very helpful, so I thought I’d pass along some of my own experiences and hope they are as useful as all of your’s have been: My daughter broke her left inferior pubic ramus playing ultimate frisbee in college in March 2009. This was not diagnosed until August 2009, since the intial pain went away and it only hurt when she tried to run. We and the doc thought it was a pulled muscle. By the time it was x-rayed, the healing callus was huge, but the bones were quite far apart with lots to heal, since she had remained active on it for so long after the intial (presumably stress) fracture. She was told to rest it, which she did, as much as a 19-year old can. She stopped running, but kept going to college parties and dancing. Needless to say, a follow-up x-ray in November 2009 showed no improvement or healing, and that got everyone nervous that she had some sort of bone metabolism problem, so she had a million dollar workup for bone biomarkers, calcium, vit D, BMD, you name it. All normal but for a slightly low vit D. Between January 2010 and June 2010, she stopped ALL strenuous activity – walking only. Very difficult and frustrating for her, since she is SO active. No going to dances, jsut sitting in the library. REALLY hard. The difficulty actually can’t be adequately described, but those of you who are active and have this fracture know what I’m talking about…Anyway, it worked! An x-ray in June 2010 showed near-complete healing – just a bit of bone to fill in, but the callus had been absorbed. HOWEVER, she continued to have pain under her left buttock and along her left hip, the same type of pian she’d always had after the break, which concerned her and us greatly. Finally, an MRI was done in Novemebr 2010 which showed everything comlpetely normal – structurally. Break completely healed. A few visits to a good PT found extreme weakness on the left side (probably from favoring the right side during the long healing process) and exercises have fixed that. SO, after nearly 2 years, she is healthy again. But truly, the moral is, with these factures, you really have to limit activity so that the damn thing can heal. The 2 ends of bone have got to find each other and start to fill in, and that just can’t happen if the ends are bouncing around inside you. You can’t cast it to immobilize the ends like other breaks. This is so difficult for athletes with this fracture. Anyway, I just wanted to write to say that for anyone who is having a hard time healing, stop doing anything but walking (walking is good because it builds bone mass). Oh, and she also did pilates to strenghten her core muscles. That may have helped too.

Comment by Sue — February 2, 2011 @ 10:05 am

14. hi,i am from the uk and am doing masters athletics (m40) in 800/1500m.always done sport,but took up running about 5 years ago.performances have improved massively and achieved bronze in 800/1500 world indoor games plus p.b,s and national medals.had the odd injury,but i now have this pain right up in the centre as in pain in the butt which radiates mainly left.i have seen a osteopath and physio who have treated the hips,glutes,pyriformis,but no pain relief and if anything it getting worse.rested a little and have an attitude that most injuries you can run through.i,m concerned because when i read the books,i think the problem is the pubic ramus.i,ve been aware of a deep pain for six months,but after a couple of hilly cross countries this problem has been highlighted.do i need an x/ray or mri and what would be the best way to go about it?

Comment by adrian haines — February 6, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

15. i am currently suffering from severe left leg pain and now in crutches after my first marathon last february 6, 2011. pain actually started towards the end of my training for the marathon. i thought it was just a simple shin splints that goes away after RICE. i already consulted a doctor and did an xray. he cleared me from a stress fracture and told me to proceed to therapy. i wasn’t satisfied so i consulted another sports doctor. he asked me to get an mri for proper diagnosis and treatment. i already scheduled an mri tomorrow and praying that no fracture is present at my left leg. but if i don’t have fracture, then what could be it that’s preventing me from walking normally?

Comment by chi ru — February 12, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

16. I sustained a hairline fracture of the right pubic ramous at the age of 36. This was done during my Advanced Individual Training for the United States Army. During our PT sessions, I was running approximately two miles Monday, Wedneday and Friday. As of April 2011, it will have been three years. I still have pain and numbness in the left hip. I also suffer what feels like needle sticks in my left hip, thigh, calf and foot. Will be going to have it evaluated next week.

Comment by Brett — March 25, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

17. I am a 52 yr old male who recently had arthroscopic hip surgery for a torn labrum.Since the surgery which was 3 months ago I have been suffering excruciating pain in the pubic groin region.I believe during the traction phase of the surgery something got torn.I had a mri and my doctor said I have adductor tendonapathy or in laymans terms a strain.I have had no improvement at all in 3 months.The pain occurs mostly when I make a quick movement or getting in and out of my car.When I pull my leg inwards towards me the pain is like a sharp knife being inserted into my pubic region.I feel my dr is misdiagnosing me.Does this sound like it might be a pubic ramus fracture.Would love to hear some responses.I have an appt with my surgeon this coming Thursday March 31st.

Comment by Dale Prussoff — March 27, 2011 @ 12:33 am

18. Hi everyone! I sustained a stress fracture to my right inferior pubic ramus in late December 2010 (on my birthday actually). Like a lot of you, I thought it was a groin pull but my MRI confirmed a fracture. Anyway, it is now over 3 months since my initial injury and I am starting to get extremely depressed about it because it has not disappeared yet.
    When I first injured myself, I could not stand on one foot, get dressed standing up, walk without a limp, yadda yadda. Now I CAN get dressed easily, hop up and down, do the elliptical, spin, swim, walk, do pretty much anything BUT run (which is obviously the ONE thing I actually want to do).
    Even though I can do all these things, I am still very aware of my stress fracture. I randomly feel little twinges of pain that come and go. I am wondering how long it takes for most people to heal completely because I am starting to go nuts. Three months? Six? A year? What did you guys to do speed up the process? Did any of you do PT? Stuff like that. Any info would be great!
    Please help 🙁 I am going nuts after these past few months. I need some answers and moral support! You can even email me (aloisious7@sbcglobal.net)!! Thanks so much guys! I hope you all are healing/healed!!

Comment by Allison — March 30, 2011 @ 8:49 am

19. Just diganosed with one, 8 weeks later. I did 4 weeks of PT with no results. Reading all these comments makes me feel so hopeless.

Comment by kelly — April 4, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

20. Hi Allison, it was seven months before I was able to ease myself back into gentle running. My first run since the injury was last weekend, a meagre two miles and legs are still sore, I have lost so much form!

It really did seem that the injury would never fully heal so I appreciate how you are feeling right now. Little things like how you lie in bed, even five months in, would be an issue due to the pain.

Are you sure you only fractured the inferior pubic rami? My consultant said the superior always fails as well in this injury.

All I can say is hang on in there, it’s a horrible injury but you will get there!

Comment by Denis — April 5, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

21. Hi, I’m 19 and got diagnosed with an inferior pubic ramus stress fracture about a month and half ago – marathon training but way too much mileage and apparently it led to a nutritional deficiency- my ortho said these fractures usually occur alongside a nutritional deficiency because many of us don’t make enough effort to replace the calories we burn. Also to be completely honest i just loved looking really in shape. I had all the same symptoms as you guys- not being able to get clothes on was the most obvious and just like everyone else assumed it was a muscle tear. I’m kind of conflicted because my x-ray shows that it’s healing and I only really rested a week- I’ve been biking about 60 minutes a day or doing hot yoga- i just can’t give up exercise completely. Many of you are saying that your doctors told you to completely rest. I was just wondering if anyone has successfully biked through this? My ortho said I should be good to run by June but my muscles still ache around the area.
    Going crazyyyy. Any advice?

Comment by Jess — April 27, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

22. This is exactly what is happening for me everyone around me is shocked I am not over this yet. I can’t beleive myself that this pain can go on for over a year now.

I survived riding as a passenger with my GOD mother running a stop sign she received a ticket. Insurance will pay no bills been over a year now.

Survived brain injury – healed

8 broken ribs some in four places

Collapsed right lung

Grade V kidney tear, stint installed

3 surgeries

Pelvis shattered 3 surgical long screws install illum I think

Pain is unbearable and has lasted over a year now. I am really tired of this and want my life back.

Melody

Comment by Melody Johnson — April 29, 2011 @ 10:08 am

23. Hi, I am in my last season of collegiate running and 4 weeks ago was diagnosed with a pubic ramus fracture. I ran a 10k with the injury and qualified for Nationals, which is in less than weeks. As you all know it is very painful but I have been cross training and really want to race. Have any of you tried racing with it? Besides taking longer to heal are there any major consequences?

Thanks for your help.

KC

Comment by KC — May 15, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

24. I hurt myself in February 2010 and was finally diagnosed via MRI in March 2011 with a stress fracture in my pubus ramis. I continued to run, thinking it was a tendon thing and would just clear up on it’s own. I even did a half-marathon in August 2010, and wasn’t much slower than usual although I’m pretty slow to start with. Shut down running for at least 2 months but riding the stationary bike. My question – is there a link with bone density? Should I be taking a calcium supplement? My diet is fairly high in dairy and I already take a multivitamin.

Thanks,

Dan

Comment by Dan — May 27, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

25. Hi, I’m #153. It’s been exactly a year now since my injury and I figured I’d come back here to see what others are saying. I am definitely healed after a year, and tomorrow I run my first marathon since my injury. Back in November I was worried that I had reinjured myself — I was feeling the pain in my groin again, but I couldn’t quite tell if it was real or imagined. I talked with my orthopaedist, who recommended that I build up my core to prevent anything more from happening. I ended up doing the P90X, and about six weeks into it I felt strong enough to go back to running. I didn’t finish the whole 90 days because I didn’t want to overdo it while running, but I think it did help to strengthen my core. I ran the NY Half Marathon in March completely pain free (and PR’d!), and completed my marathon training plan, which had me running 55 mile weeks at its peak. I’m hoping to PR at my marathon tomorrow, too — we’ll see. I still feel phantom pains every now and then, and it seems like they come out of nowhere, but for everyone who feels hopeless with this injury (like I did): you WILL get better. It might take longer than you like, but it’ll happen with rest. One thing I wish I had tried while I was injured was water running — someone recommended that to me but I never did it. If you’re obsessed with running like I am, that might help you get through it. Anyway, I think the best advice on how to deal with this injury is all over this blog: rest, rest, rest, and know that it’s going to get better, eventually.

Comment by Leigh — May 28, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

26. I was diagnosed with Pubic Ramis Stress Fx back in Dec. I’m a 40 yo male 155 lbs 5’8″ I’ve had pain for probably a year in the area ran probably 20 marathons and ultras with it. After initially being diagnosed with Piriformis and doing physical therapy for a couple months I went back to the long races. I’m a wimp at everything else but running I can always seem to ignore the pain. Eventually, my times fell like a brick, couldn’t train, couldn’t finish races, and finally 5 miles was excruciating. Havn’t ran a race since nov 14 2010, ran 5 times this month (1.5 miles the longest) and it still doesn’t feel like it’s heeling. I qualified for automatic bid fo NYC marathon and am entered but at this point I wonder whether i’ll get to run. I was on no workouts from Jan-Feb,Then crutches Mar-apr (i was off work from february to Apr, I’m a firefighter) My ortho let me swim all along and bike once I got off crutches. I haven’t seen her for awhile my last orders were “I could run 1 mile every other day increasing 10% a week, unless I have pain then skip the summer”. Now, I feel I’m back to the drawing board. Odd question and I am being serious and hope this doesn’t offend anyone… Does anyone have trouble during or after sex with this? It seems like it really aggravates the area? My ortho is female and very nice but it sounds like there have not been a lot of male patients with similar problems so when I’ve asked she didn’t think it should be a problem.

Comment by 510joe — June 28, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

27. I was diagnosed with an inferior pubic ramus stress fracture while in basic training 6 years ago. The doctor said it was probably a pulled groin muscle and to stretch. well…after a 10K road march with 60lbs on my back, the stretching only made it worse. The next day an X-ray confirmed it. 6 years later I still feel the pain sometimes when the weather changes, I exercise or stumble just right. It makes me wonder if it will always be there, waiting to be reinjured….

Comment by Tamri — July 23, 2011 @ 6:49 am

28. I broke my pubic rami on the left side when i rolled our 4 wheeler. It’s been 2 1/2 weeks since my accident. I went to the ortho doctor a week ago and she said to keep using the crutches and increase the weight on the left foot everyday. She said i should be off the crutches soon. How long were you all on crutches? They also said it would be healed in 6-8 weeks. I like to hear “It will feel better soon”! I am looking forward to that and no pain.

Comment by Betsy — August 17, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

29. Hello,
    I am a otherwise heathy 31 yo physician asst. and I was diagnosed with my bilateral (R>L) superior ramus fractures over 1 yr ago:july 2010. I run/play soccer and at the time was exercising 1-2 hrs 6 days a week. Initially I cut back my activity, only to find my symptoms were worsening (unable to weight bear, pain with positioning in my sleep, stairs etc), and had an MRI which confirmed significant bone marrow edema/fracture. I then reduced my activity to only non weight bearing exerise that activites that didn’t cause pain, only to get an MRI in May 2011 which confirmed no improvement. I am now on my 3rd month of no exeercise(over 1 yr into injury), and have been prescribed an Ultrasound bone stimulator; as well as had blood work confirming normal calcium, thyroid/parathyroid, vit D levels etc….and am officially going stir crazy. The pain is still there I daily, and it has been over a year! I work in a hospital for 10yrs a day 5-6 days/week and am usually on my feet. Have appt next week with second ortho opinion as I can’t seem to heal. Any more suggestion?? Glad to see I am not alone. Also–interesting theory on stride length. I am only 5’0” and play against men–so perhaps that may have been a precipitant?

Comment by Kara — August 17, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

30. Thanks everyone for posting all your experiences. It makes me feel slightly less isolated in what has to be the worst injury I have ever had.
    I am a 33 year old male and I’m still suffering from a pubic ramus stress fracture 9 months after the injury.
    In regard to comment 176 (510joe), and again, not wanting to offend, yes I can confirm that during and after sex it gets aggravated. Just about everything physical causes more pain in the area.

It’s driving me mad – as an avid sportsman, having to spend 9 months completely inactive has been unbearable. And it doesn’t feel like it’s getting much better (2 MRIs now and very little improvement between them). Good luck recovering everyone!

Comment by Nick — August 20, 2011 @ 11:29 am

31. I posted in June, I was supposed to be able to run again in June very slow buildup. I had to delay til’ July. After 7 months with no relief i’m getting progress. I went and saw a chiro (I’d heard X-rays wouldn’t show a stress fx but they would show calcification after one healed.. and X-rays at a chiro are a lot cheaper than a doctor). Anyway, thought for sure i’d here something about my back being out or at the very least my pelvis being crooked… Nope they said I couldn’t be more equal. Anyway, they have an athletic trainer where I went and he was convinced the bone itself should be healed by now and the pain was coming from the muscles, tendons, ligaments. He said since i’d gone so long beating them up and then not using them. There was scarring inside… anyway. I let him try what is called a Graston technique (metal blade that is scraped over the affected area). after a month of that and electro therapy… I’m not 100% but I’m definitely getting there. It made a huge difference.

Comment by 510joe — August 25, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

32. Finding this blog has been so supportive and helpful in understanding what has happened to me. Around 7/16/2011 I started having such intense pain in the left groin area that I couldn’t walk and had to rent a scooter over that weekend just to get around the house. I went to my primary doctor, had a negative X-ray and was told I probably pulled a groin muscle and that it could take 6-8 weeks to heal. I turned in the scooter and got a wheelchair from my HMO. 4 painful weeks later with no improvement I went to an orthopedist and had a CAT scan. Both the doctor and I were surprised to learn I had a non-displaced fracture of the left superior pubic ramus at the iliopubic junction and a non-displaced fracture of the medial left inferior pubic ramus. It is now going on the 7th week in a wheelchair, still having a lot of pain with the doctor telling me it could take up to 3 months to heal. Needless to say I’ve been getting more depressed the longer I’m stuck in the chair.

Since I hadn’t fallen or injured myself I haven’t had a clue how I got the fractures until today. I saw a television ad for a law firm looking for patients who take Fosamax (popular prevention and treatment for osteoporosis) and have had fractures of the femur or hip bones. There are a lot of articles and several law suits about this drug which is supposed to prevent bone fractures, but might actually be causing some of them. I have had osteoporosis for several years and have been taking Fosomax since diagnosed. I also have degenerative disc disease and arthritis and have had several lower back spinal fusions; what a mess. I searched the Internet to see if the type of fractures I have might be related to the femur and hip fractures with someone taking Fosamax. That is how I found this blog.

On 11/26/10 I fell against the pointed wooden arm of a chair and fractured 3 ribs. On 4/25/11 I tripped and fell on a tile floor and fractured the humerous in my shoulder. I sound like a real klutz. I don’t know if Fosamax or osteoporosis had anything to do with these fractures but I question the cause of the latest fractures (left superior pubic ramus and medial left inferior pubic ramus) since there was no fall or injury involved.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone reading this blog who had similar fractures and were taking Fosamax. If you can, please respond to the running blog and refer to my comments. Thanks.

Comment by Karren — September 1, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

33. Thank goodness I found this site. I did this after googling “pubic stress fracture” and “sex”. I am a 23yo male who has suffered osteitis pubis since age 17 I now believe I have a stress fracture and this is why I haven’t fully healed as I never took 3 months of rest.

Can someone please comfirm if sex aggravates this condition? One person must have said it on here but couldn’t find it.

What is the average recovery time everyone I am hearing 3 months rest followed by 2 months of very slow building up to running / core activities.

Cheers

Flash

Comment by Flash — October 6, 2011 @ 4:33 am

34. I also found this after googling “pubic ramus stress fractures”. I am a 45 yo male, extremely active (martial arts, running, weightlifting, backpacking, skiing).
    Anyway, I had what I thought was a chronic groin strain for about 6-7 months. I trained almost every day with it. When I started feeling a twinge in my lower abs in addition to the groin twinge, I thought I must have a hernia. Well, MRI showed stress fractures in my left pubic ramus (both inferior (larger of the two)) and (posterior).
    It has been about 15 weeks and for 10 of those I just walked and lifted for my upper body as well as push-ups, chin-ups, etc. I also did very low resistance and slower paced eliptical (boring).
    It was definitely improved, but I wasn’t really doing anything either. So, I have upped my eliptical pace slowly and started stationary bike and some bodyweight squats. It actually feels pretty good, but the whole area is very tight and still “twingy” at times.
    I am going to continue in this way and let you all know how it is going. I am thinking I still probably have another 10-12 weeks before I can begin to run, but have no way of knowing for sure.
    Also – I have upped my calcium/magnesium, eating jell-o (heard it was good for this believe it or not).
    Good luck all and misery loves company, so glad I am not alone with this.

Comment by HK — November 10, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

35. Posted back in august. Graston technique seemed to really loosen up the legs. I am almost back to normal. Ran NYC marathon… First race of 26.2 or longer in 51 weeks. I was 10 minutes off BQ pace but considering the past year, reduced mileage, and I took my wife out shopping a couple hours after the race I think it went well. Hope to be back to calling a BQ pace a training run soon. Good luck all.

Comment by 510joe — November 17, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

36. I Posted back in august. Graston technique seemed to really loosen up the legs. I am almost back to normal. Ran NYC marathon… First race of 26.2 or longer in 51 weeks. I was 10 minutes off BQ pace but considering the past year, reduced mileage, and I took my wife out shopping a couple hours after the race I think it went well. Hope to be back to calling a BQ pace a training run soon. Good luck all.

Comment by 510joe — November 17, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

37. Hey my doc mentioned a drug called Forteo. It is a month of self-administered shots via epi-pen. Any of you have experience with this? I am feeling better, but not perfect and if not okay to start running in January, I may give it a whirl.

Comment by HK — December 24, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

38. Hi Jodi,

I was diagnosed with a slight stress fracture in my inferior pubic ramus on my left side about 6 months ago. I have since been relatively inactive, not doing a whole lot of running but I still get sore when aI go to start up again. I play AFL and need to kick a lot and am starting to get have a red hot go getting fit again, I am still stiff and sore after each session. Any suggestions

Comment by Tim — January 5, 2012 @ 3:19 am

39. Hi, I too have suffered a pubic ramus stress fracture…. Extremely frustrating!! Have gone from running 6 days a week to shuffling around the apartment!! 13 weeks on and although it has improved and is no longer painful, I can still ‘feel’ it!!

I won’t blab on as you all understand the frustration but I just wanted to say something regarding the dexa or bone scan… I was scanned and my gp told me I had osteopenia and referred me to an endocrinologist specialising in bone metabolism. He said I actually have perfectly normal bone density for my age (female, 26) and advised my gp against using the z and t scores for someone of my age! Hoping this may be of help for others 🙂 happy healing……be patient and listen to your body xx

Comment by pip — January 6, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

40. John here- ran a 2:44:10 marathon in Berlin this past fall, and succumbed to osteitis pubis shortly thereafter making it difficult to give my kids piggyback rides around Disney World or just putting socks on in the AM. I rested 6 weeks then rehabbed using cycling/core strength workouts/stretching for over 3 months. No difference in pain until beginning USP Labs Super Cissus RX and glucosamine with Chrondroitin MSM. Over two weeks into these two supplements and all symptoms are gone. Will keep training moderately for a few more weeks before ramping up intensity more. I believe the Cissus to be EXTREMELY effective.

Comment by John — January 25, 2012 @ 4:55 am

41. OK just got my ct scan back and bone is fully healed. I have not run since July when it was first diagnosed. Over the last 2/3 months stationary bike and elliptical with body weight leg exercises.
    Now, doc says get back slow and let my body be my guide. Weird thing is I still feel the twinges in my groin at times. Can anyone say how long before it felt “normal” down there? I am hoping the area just needs to be stretched and strengthened after the limited activity.

Comment by HK — February 18, 2012 @ 12:12 pm